Jonathan Shaw - Folk Singer to Steiner Teacher
Episode six is a Pathways episode all about Jonathan Shaw, a Steiner teacher, something that he has come to relatively late in life.
Jonathan’s story is very unique, starting with completing a teaching degree, followed by 15 years working as a folk musician in Europe and Australia, before marrying his love of music with his love of education together with Steiner.
· What is Steiner Education, and how is it different to regular schooling?
· What type of student does Steiner turn out into the world?
Pivotal Moment One: How did Jonathan choose Steiner Education?
· How did his family and loved ones influence his decision-making processes?
· What did he do for the 15 years between finishing his degree and becoming a teacher?
· What was the impact of a dream?
Pivotal Moment Two: What was the track of musician for Jonathan?
· How did he choose to be a musician for 15 years?
· What influence did he have on his life?
· How has music influenced his life and approach to work?
· How has his time as a front man transitioned into the classroom?
Pivotal Moment Three: The transition into teaching.
· Which people did he look to make the decision?
· How did he feel supported to make the trip into teaching?
· How does community play into the right fit for teaching?
Pivotal Moment Three: Training as a mature age student.
· What was the experience like?
· What were his regrets from the time?
· How did he become more social and extroverted?
Pivotal Moment Four: The first year of teaching.
· The surprise of how children respond to teaching.
· How does he maintain a connection with his class?
· What was the technical focus?
· What was his plan to get the most from his energy resources?
· How does he get feedback on his performance?
· How does he manage feedback from his class?
Pivotal Moment Five: Reflecting on the elements.
· How does being a musician aid being a teacher?
· What has surprised him about his first year compared to his expectations?
· What does the link to purpose link to performance?
· What is next for Jonathan?
Jonathan’s 10 Minute Challenge:
· Find a safe edge to look out from.
· Reflect for 10 minutes about that moment.
Make sure you sign up to the Candourly.com mailing list and share the podcast with your friends!