Chris Hoang - Enjoying the Fruits of Failing
Episode eight is all about Chris Hoang, a young entrepreneur working on his startup www.theperfectdate.com.au, in addition to working at his 9-5 job all at the same time.
Chris has been through a number of accelerator programs taking away some very important learning’s along the way, which he was kind enough to share. He has a great outlook on life, and is not afraid to fail and fail quickly to learn and grow.
Pivotal Moment One: When did Chris decide he wanted to get into startups?
· What was the first point of exposure?
· What event created the opportunity?
· What was the decision making process to pursue it?
Pivotal Moment Two: What was the first incubator experience like?
· What were the big challenges?
· How did Chris stay motivated and keep his energy up?
· How did he manage the conflicting priority of being a new grad program at the same time?
· What would Chris do differently next time?
· What advice was being delivered at the time that upon reflection had high impact?
· How would he phrase the advice to get cut through looking back?
Pivotal Moment Three: Learning how to fail.
· What was the process to valuing failure?
· How to Ready, Fire, Aim?
· How was the start-up approach helped in his corporate career?
· What is the pacing difference between start-ups and corporate?
Pivotal Moment Four: Going solo.
· Working in a new city without the support of friends and family.
· What was the impact of his mentors in that environment?
· How did he change his approach to work?
Pivotal Moment Five: Pitching for Start Mate.
· How was the experience the third time around?
· How did the team react to the new challenge?
· What was different about the state of the business?
· What was the challenge of the experience?
Pivotal Moment Six: The response to failing big.
· What was the response to the failure like?
· What has happened since?
· How did the team take the impact of the failure?
· How did it impact Chris’s 9-5 life?
Pivotal Moment Seven: How have working on start-up’s impacted Chris’s outlook?
· What is the difference between the Chris of two years ago vs. today?
· How did travel influence his 24 month journey?
· How does Chris stay humble and grateful?
· What’s the next focus for Chris?
· How has Chris faced the challenge of leadership?
· What’s Chris looking forward too in the next year?
What does Chris recommend you do if you want to walk a similar path?
· Keep an open mind
· Always want to learn
· Don’t assume you are the best at anything
Chris’s 10 Minute Activity:
· Reflect on what happened today, and think about what you could have done better and try it tomorrow.
Make sure you sign up to the Candourly.com mailing list and share the podcast with your friends!