Ben Huckins - Piloting In All Weather
Ben Huckins is the Creative Director of Masters of Smithing, a new creative venture that is currently in its second year. Ben took this leap after a long corporate in marketing and communications where he became a technical master in his field, but always wanted more.
After a year of reflection, he decided to bet on himself, and start his own venture changing his work habits life all at the same time.
Pivotal Moment One: The jump from Corporate
· Reaching the limits of opportunity and progression.
· The impact of the grind, and the lack of balance.
· A year of reflection on where passion was coming from.
· The final straw that provided the extra motivation.
Pivotal Moment Two: 12 weeks of pure creativity
· Attending Shillington College
· The gateway into mixing life, passion and work.
· The reward and stress of running your own creative agency.
· Gaining a better understanding of self.
Pivotal Moment Three: The impacts of breaking free
· Mindfulness, health and change.
· Being back in control of life, and the freedom this brings.
· Discovering true alignment, and authenticity.
· Reflecting on the fear and failures in the first few months.
· Personal wins vs. company wins
Pivotal Moment Four: Running a business vs. being a technical expert
· The role of mentors.
· Learning from everything and everyone.
· Building a new network, for a new challenge.
· The planning processes and aligning a network.
· Co-working as a sole trader.
Pivotal Moment Five: Choosing creativity
· Childhood creativity.
· The influence and impact of creativity.
· Choosing marketing, communication and sales.
· Internal drivers to define a creative pathway.
Pivotal Moment Six: The new type of work and life.
· Building a healthy life and being present.
· Self discovery and self awareness.
· Authenticity and business.
· Creating the space to build in a new life outlook.
· The adventure of every day working with authentic people.
· Listen to yourself and reflect through meditation and mindfulness.
· Start working through the processes of opening yourself up.
· Keeping moving forward, don’t accept being stagnant.
Ben’s 10 minute exercise:
· Find something that you want to educate yourself on.
· Define time each week to investigate this area of interest.
· Find people who have the same interest engage with a network.