Chris Appleford - Goodbye Drinking
Chris Appleford is back for a special SME edition of Pathways, to talk all about wwwgoodbyedrinking.com. A website he founded, devoted to help everyone change the culture of binge drinking in Australia.
Where did goodbyedrinking.com come from?
· After returning from a year of travel, looking to start something for himself.
· Initially smoking was the focus, however, decided to focus on drinking because everyone knows it was bad.
· Chris wanted to share a personal story, and binge drinking was something that Chris had experienced.
Why is it a problem worth solving?
· The impact on our healthcare system is well documented.
· We have a culture of binge drinking, rather than drinking socially.
Where are people most likely thinking twice?
· Late 20’s and mid 30’s traditionally where we start to think twice about it.
· The value of doing a cost benefit analysis.
The relationship between drinking and networking and your career:
· The role of drinking during networking, doing deals and forming relationships.
· The role of drinking in all social events.
Strategies to break free: Chris has written a book to help on this, click here to sign up to his mailing list and get it for free!
· Habits and how they can help and hinder.
· Breaking habits, and understanding that it’s going to be hard.
· Find a deep ‘why’ as to why you want to make a change.
How to maintain the choice facing the Australian drinking culture:
· Working hard to break the habit through conscious decision-making.
· For Chris, this was the morning after his son was born.
· How to handle the every day situations of two types of people you tend to run into:
o The person who wants to find out more.
o The person who gets defensive.
· You can be confident without the alcohol, and not drinking will allow you to get comfortable in your own skin.
· Accountability, and its influence on forming the right habits.
· Planning to fail and planning to get back on the horse once you do.
· 300 more days back to your lifetime.
· Productivity, and output and engaging in life.
· Life momentum, and creating better work.
Chris’s 10 Minute activity – do the Good Bye Drinking cost benefit analysis and start making positive change.